Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sriracha Ginger Red Cabbage Slaw

 

 

 

This recipe was all about trying to find the perfect side to go with a pork dish that I found when exploring one of the communities I'm in on Google+.  It's taking me an absurdly long amount of time to figure everything out, and remember all the different rules for the different communities I've joined but it's been extremely fun getting to see all the different foods people create and the knowledge that they share.  And of course the added bonus of finding recipes that I can not wait to try at home, like the one I found for Tonkatsu: Japanese Style Pork Cutlets.  It's had great sauce that I had never tried or even heard of before (see what I mean about dropping the knowledge, always learning).  The tangy tonkatsu sauce goes amazingly with the panko crusted pork chops and all that was left for me to figure out was a side.  Pictured with the pork dish was a beautiful little salad of red cabbage and carrots and so sprang the idea for this side dish.
 
 
 
Starting with our base, it's just thinly sliced red cabbage.  I love using red cabbage because I think the color is so beautiful, some people do half and half (half red/half green) but I usually just use red cabbage.  I removed the leaves and cut them in a chiffonade, but you can cut it however you like as long as they are in nice long, thin strips.
 
 
 
Next are shallots, thinly sliced.  I added two shallots, however if your not a huge onion flavor fan I would suggest only using one. (This is due to my boyfriend thinking the shallots were strong in the dish and me not thinking that-so use your discretion on this.  Most of you know if you like the flavor or not.)
 
 
 
Basil!  I love the flavor of this and the freshness.  I used about 10 leaves here and cut them in a chiffonade. 


Just in case, a chiffonade is a knife cut where your product (usually basil or spinach)  comes out in long thin strips.  Like the first picture of basil shown, stack your leaves one on top of another.  Then roll your stack tightly, almost like rolling a cigar.  At this point you just take your knife and start cutting thin strips until you've reached the base (a little past where my huge looking hands are placed)


Add in about 3 carrots that you have grated and you've got your base going.  Let this just hang out for a minute and start on your sauce.

 
 
Please ignore the lime green bowl, one of the few brightly colored kitchen items I have and naturally the only clean bowl when I was making this.  Anyway, for the sauce I minced about an inch of ginger and added that to mayonnaise with lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, Sriracha and olive oil.  For the Sriracha I have a base amount to add but you if want to up the amount (or decrease) feel free to experiment with the amount of heat you want.
 


Tossed in the sauce and then garnished with salted sunflower seeds and pine nuts.  Maybe a little too much garnish for this particular plate/picture, I ended up putting this plate of food back in the bowl and tossing it all again to mix in the seeds and nuts and then plated a second time with just a few of each on top.


Sriracha Ginger Red Cabbage Slaw

Ingredients:
1 red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
10 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
3 carrots, grated
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 lemon, zest and juiced
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
Pinch of Salt
Fresh coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
1/4 c. salted sunflower seeds

1.  Combine cabbage, shallots, carrots and basil in a large bowl.
2.  Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, Sriracha sauce, ginger and black pepper in another bowl.
3. Stir sauce into the cabbage mixture, toss to combine.
4.  Top with pine nuts and sunflower seeds

 

No comments:

Post a Comment