Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Potato, Spinach and Leek Frittata


     Woohoo for finally feeling better!!  Still slightly under the weather but I am no longer completely loopy and walking around like a zombie.  Amazing what a shower, slapping on some make-up and wearing heels around your house for no reason can do to a girl.  But one thing for sure is it'll bring you back from a snot-filled, same clothes for an unmentionable amount of days, dirty hair that dry shampoo can't even bring back and cough/sleep filled haze.  I'm just glad I was out of it most of the time because the flash backs are scary.

     Second WOOHOO for finally being back in the kitchen too!  Feeling better means that I can get started again on some of the recipes that I wanted to test.  Unfortunately it put me majorly behind on things that I had planned to do for this week so I probably won't be able to get to everything that I wanted.  However, I will get to do some of them.  Like the leek frittata/tortilla that I was talking about.  Well that turned into more of a baked potato, spinach and leek tortilla-but it was still just as tasty.  My brother made a great point when I first posted the picture on Instagram though.  What is a frittata or a tortilla (not the tortilla your thinking of)?


     To me the easiest way to explain what a frittata is, is to say that is an open-faced omelet.  It's a mixture of lightly sautéed meats and/or veggies and mixed with whisked eggs and milk and cooked on a stove top until just set and then placed under a broiler or salamander to set the top and brown.  A tortilla, is a "Spanish omelette".  Similar to a frittata, this is called a tortilla de patatas and is made with fried potatoes.  The cooking technique for a tortilla is the same as a frittata.  For the purpose of this recipe I did sauté the vegetables in a pan but at the time I didn't have an ovenproof skillet so I just baked the whole thing.  You can do this recipe either way though.

 
     The biggest thing that I love about frittatas is I think that they are great if you have left over veggies.  A lot of times I have a small amount of leftovers from a bunch of different veggies, so this is a great way to use all of those veggies and added them together.  Or even leftover meats if your wanting to add some more protein to the dish.  The different ways that you can do this dish are literally limitless.

     The other added bonus to this, it's a breakfast, lunch or dinner kind of dish.  It's egg based so you can just do the breakfast route when adding in ingredients or you can have a slice for lunch.  I served this for dinner as a side to Venison Steak, it was a nice change from just having a side of veggies.  So explore and change it up if you like and make it yours.  Please share if you do, I love hearing the different ideas and combinations of food people come up with!

Potato, Spinach and Leek Frittata

Olive Oil
2 large leeks, thinly sliced
2 cups fresh spinach
1/3 cups milk
1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon thyme, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
2 cups cooked, peeled potatoes
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Drizzle oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add leeks; sauté for roughly 4 minutes.  Add in garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sauté until aromatic.  Add spinach and sauté about 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.  Remove mixture from heat and set aside.
3.  Combine milk, salt, pepper, eggs, and egg whites; stir well with a whisk.  Add spinach and leek mixture and cooked potatoes.  Pour into a 10 inch round pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with the panko and top with cheese.  Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until the center for the frittata is set.
4.  Turn on the broiler.  And broil until the frittata is golden brown on top, roughly 4-5 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment