Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

This is me, B

     Well, after thinking about it and thinking about it I have finally decided to start a blog.  This is a better way to be able to post my recipes aside from just having them on Facebook-and this way I can actually post pictures with step by step directions and share all that I do with you all :)  And what better way to start the New Year then cozying up on the couch with my favorite new blanket and starting a food blog!!!  
     Apparently a big New Year's tradition is eating cabbage?  This is not something that I grew up doing, in fact this isn't something that I had even heard of doing until I was almost 20, and when asking my parents about it I just get a look like, Duh-didn't you know?!   (I mean, is this really something that a lot of people do???  Who knew?)  Needless to say, I didn't know and I hadn't tried it before so naturally I needed to.  And I'll be quite honest, good luck or not I am just not a cabbage fan.  I can't figure it out, the texture, I don't know cabbage is just not my cup of tea.  So no cabbage for me this New Years, I do however love Brussels Sprouts!

 

 
     So, in ode to cabbage, I'm listing below one of my many Brussels Sprout recipes.  It's an easy go to recipe and if your an anti cabbage person like me, you'll some how find yourself saying I love Brussels Sprouts after trying this out.  So don't feel as guilty this New Years about not having any cabbage or worry about you luck taking a nose dive.  With this cabbage cousin as a replacement your starting your year off in a very good way :)
 
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots
1 pound Brussels sprouts, cut in half
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
 
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 ounces bacon, cut into ¼ inch slices
Kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1.      In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the Brussels sprouts until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.  Drain and pat dry.
  1. In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 10 minutes; scrape into a bowl.
  2. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts, cut side down, and the pancetta. Season with salt and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are browned and tender, 10 minutes. Add the garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until warm, 5 minutes. Season with salt, transfer to a bowl and serve.
This picture is from one of my cooking class, this is one of the groups Brussels sprout dish at they were caramelizing it on the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment