Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Citrus Marinated Olives

 

 
 
   Delicious orange juice, spicy jalapenos, herbaceous cilantro and parsley- these are some of the things that I really like about this citrus marinated olive dish.  It gives a nice little spin on your cocktail olives.  And enables you to make something a little bit special and a little different in advance and be able to wow your guess with the flavor. 

     I originally made this recipe when I had to come up with a special to put on the menu in my Specialized Cuisine class.  I had been assigned Spain as my region to do my report and presentation on as well as develop one appetizer and one main dish based on the cuisine.  I decided to do a tapas style dish with different items that were based on five main areas in Spain.  So this citrus marinated olive dish came about.  It's one of my favorites because you can control the amount of heat if need be.  When I did this for a special I usually topped with thinly sliced jalapenos and lemon zest but when making it at home I mix it right in and then add more on top if I don't think it's spicy enough.  Whichever you prefer is fine.
Citrus Marinated Olives
Makes 3 cups
 
1 1/2 cups Kalamata olives
1 1/2 cups green olives
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2-3 jalapenos, thinly sliced
zest from 1 large lemon
zest from 1 orange
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
 
1.  Combine all of the ingredients in a large Ziploc bag or large bowl.  Shake bag to blend ingredients or if in bowl stir to combine.  Refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 3 days, tossing ingredients occasionally. 
2.  When ready to serve, transfer to a serving bowl.  Let stand 1 hour at room temperature before serving and top with additional thinly sliced jalapeno and lemon zest if desired.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment