Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Little Bit of Pumpkin Pie

     Before I forget, I said a long time ago that I would post my pumpkin pie recipe.  It's simple and easy.  It is my go to recipe for pies since I have two grandmothers that make amazing pies and I am not about to try and compete with that.  So starting last year, it became a tradition for my little sister and I to make pumpkin pies together because this is a recipe that she can actually do almost the whole thing by herself (she is 6 years old).  It's a great way to introduce your kids or yourself to different spices instead of going for the "pumpkin pie spice" jar in the super markets.  The main four spices in here are great to have on hand for other uses and will definitely be some your glad to have in the future.


Pumpkin Pie

2 eggs
1 pound pumpkin puree
6 oz. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
12 fluid ounces evaporated milk
1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked or roughly 1 pound pie dough

1. Combine the eggs and pumpkin.  Blend in the sugar.
2. Add the salt and spices, and then the evaporated milk.  Whisk until completely blended and smooth.
3. Allow the filling to rest 15 to 20 minutes before filling the pie shell.  This is a good time to roll out your pie dough and place in your shell.
4. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.  Place in the oven on a preheated sheet pan at 400 degrees F.  Bake 15 minutes.  Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, approximately 40 to 50 minutes. 

     This recipe was one of the first recipes I did in my first baking classes in culinary school.  This recipe is based from the one that we did in class, mostly with just some variation in the spice levels.  It is one that I share with others because I found it to be so easy to do.  With culinary being my main focus, I am definitely still learning when it comes to baking.  It is an art that I am forever envious of when I see bakers and pastry chefs making goodies so effortlessly.  I did however share this recipe also during one of my kids cooking class, and I just have to share the picture.  Because it was a large group and they ranged in ages from 5-13 I went ahead and made the filling and had them form their own dough in their individual pie shells.  And maybe, by some others standards they aren't the "prettiest" pumpkin pies, but in my opinion after baking all their pies turned out perfect :)

No comments:

Post a Comment