Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Braised Chicken and Brussels Sprouts

 

 
 
     In preparing for a party this weekend, I have spent the vast majority of today prepping some of the ingredients and doing a start up on some of the cooking.  In doing this, I some how let dinner for tonight completely slip my mind.  And I'm sure we have all been there, whether away at work all day, busy on a project or just not focused on dinner for the night.  We have all been in that mad dash to the fridge to try and figure out what in the world can be made for dinner.  Well this was one of those nights. 
     I'll be the first to admit that I'm not above just getting take out and hitting up a restaurant when I've forgotten about dinner.  But there was something about spending the whole day in my own kitchen cooking for a different event that made it to where there was no way in the world I was settling for anything but a home cooked meal.  And that is just what I did.
 
Braised Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin on
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 pound Brussels sprouts, end cut off and cut in half
4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 onion, cut in wedges
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp. thyme, dry
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  In a cast-iron skillet or other oven proof skillet add olive oil and heat over medium heat.  When oil is heated and just beginning to smoke add chicken thighs, skin side down and cook until skin is brown, 5-10 minutes. 
3.  When skin is browned, flip the chicken over.  Add in your Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, onions, and thyme.  Cover with chicken stock.
4.  Place skillet in oven, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is done and Brussels sprouts have started to brown and caramelize.


2 comments: