Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Roasted Butternut Squash and Arugula Salad

 
     So obviously it's the get sick season.  And that season has officially hit my household, ok-it's officially hit me, no one else.  And I'm glad, really I am that I am the only one that is sick.  But in the tiniest darkest part of my brain, I think "why did it have to be me??"  But it is me, so might as well make the most of it while I can.  And trust me there's not a lot to make of it, I spent all of yesterday laying/sleeping on my couch off and on all day until I finally made my way back upstairs to go to bed.   Not a pleasant day and I vowed that today I would be better. 
     Ha!  I don't know if your bodies have ever listened when you said you didn't want to be sick.  But mine does not, it never has, so if you have a secret answer to this-SHARE!  And though I don't feel as tired, I feel like I am 100% out of it and slightly in a daze, so if none of this blog makes sense today it's not my fault!!  Hell, I'm not sure that I'll even end up posting this one just because I'm afraid it's going to be a mixture of self medicated sick person rambling.  Tell me that we have all been there and it's not just me??......................Anyone?
     I'm bummed to say that at least for today I probably am not going to be cooking anything special.  And most likely won't be cooking at all, we'll see though.  I'm starting to go through kitchen withdraw and I think you take cabin fever to a whole new level when your sick on top of it all. 
     So until I am feeling a little bit better, which is hopefully soon, there will be no leek frittata or butternut squash soup.  Or no spice crusted venison.  GRRRR!  I am determined tomorrow that I will be well enough to make these things.  Or to at least make something-I'd settle for just a simple scrambled egg in the morning.  But since it is a non-cooking day, and in ode to the Butternut Squash Soup dish I should be making tonight I'll share with you my Butternut Squash and Arugula Salad.  

     Butternut squash is a winter squash, which has a sweet nutty flavor that is similar to pumpkin.  You can roast it-which is probably the most common way that I have seen it prepared or served, and how we prepared it in the salad.  You can use it in purees and I'm thinking it might be an interesting substitute to pumpkin in some sort of muffin preparation.  And like I said before, I'd really like to try out a spicy butternut squash soup of some sort.  However, until I am feeling a little bit better (or can stand up straight for longer than 5 minutes without wanting to pass out) I'll just have to make due with sharing a recent recipe I made with one of my classes and made again at home so I could take pictures and give you guys a little bit more visuals.  Hope you guys enjoy it like I did, and I am JEALOUS of any and all of you that are not sick right now!


Roasted Butternut Squash and Arugula Salad
Serves: 4
1/2 pomegranate
1 butternut squash; roasted
6 slices bacon; cooked and crumbled
1 package arugula
8 oz. goat cheese
Olive Oil
Kosher salt
Black pepper

1.  Roast the butternut squash at 400 F for 25-30 minutes or until nice and soft.  Cube when cool enough to handle.
2.  Deseed the pomegranate, rinse well and set aside.
3.  Cook the bacon, and drain it on paper towels.
4.  Mix everything together in a large bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment