Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Thyme Mayo



Growing up the only way that I ever thought of sweet potatoes was mashed up with marshmallows on top, and that was only one day a year.  Our Thanksgiving tradition, thanks to the fact that my mother loves sweet potatoes (us on the other hand, we weren't fans), was to make sure that next to the dish of mashed potatoes was a bowl of orangey stuff with marshmallows browned on the top. 
It was the one time as a child that marshmallows just never looked good.  Until of course I grew up and decided that I was no longer going to be a picky eater and was going to start giving food a chance.  Well, maybe food......some dishes from the past just never recovered for me.


Unfortunately, that never changed for sweet potatoes.  At least in the way I had always had them.  Mashed with marshmallows just still isn't my thing, but a few years ago I found a recipe for sweet potato fries and had decided to give it a try when I was trying to find healthy alternatives for chips and fries. 
And WOW! I loved them, ever since then it's one of my go to recipes when we are grilling burgers or brats.  I usually go with my spicy sweet potato fries as I am not a fan of the sweet version (i.e. let's dump a whole bunch of cinnamon sugar on them) because it reminds me of the Thanksgiving dish I see every year. 

However, when I know I am going to have kids eating or non-spicy food eaters, I go with my herb and garlic version with a sriracha-thyme mayonnaise as a dipping sauce option for those that want the spice and heat.
Enjoy.


Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Thyme Mayonnaise
Serves: 4
 
Ingredients:
4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. thyme leaves, minced
1 tbsp. oregano leaves, minced
1 tbsp.  rosemary, minced
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
1 tbsp. thyme leaves, minced
Kosher salt

Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2.  Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch thick fries.
3.  In a large bowl, combine the onion powder and garlic powder, thyme, oregano, rosemary and black pepper.  Season with kosher salt.
4.  Add potatoes into the bowl of spices and drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine.
5.  Place you sweet potato fries on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.  Flip fries and continue baking for 5-10 minutes or until done.



 Want more recipes, food info and picture more often, follow me on Facebook.  Check it out at the link below!
Brittany M on Facebook at: Cooking with Brittany



No comments:

Post a Comment