Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Balsamic Tomato and Asparagus Salad



I love asparagus, and I have found that after grilling it all last summer when fall and winter rolled around I kissed asparagus goodbye and quit making it.  Why why why?  Simply silly on my part because there are plenty of other ways to cook asparagus inside.  So I started roasted them.
 

This has been my go to way of cooking them when it's too cold for me to go outside.  I'm not much of a fan of blanching vegetables unless absolutely necessary so I usually avoid that method and try and find a different way to cook them that will add and enhance the flavor of the dish.  Paired with balsamic tomatoes, this is a perfect colorful dish that looks impressive but doesn't take a whole lot of work.

Balsamic Tomato and Asparagus Salad
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
 
Extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Feta cheese

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  On a sheet tray, line out your asparagus and drizzle with olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.  Toss to coat.
3.  Bake until tender, 15-20 minutes.  When done cut in half on a bias.
4.  While your asparagus is cooking, sauté your garlic and cherry tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper to taste, until garlic is aromatic, 1-2 minutes.  Add in  your balsamic vinegar, and reduce slightly. 
5.  Plate asparagus and pour balsamic tomatoes and sauce over asparagus.   Sprinkle with feta cheese.


Want more recipes, food info, and pictures more often?  Then follow me on Facebook!  Click then link below to check out my Facebook page.
Brittany M on Facebook at: Cooking with Brittany

3 comments: